A subset of major depressive disorder (MDD) patients experience suicidal ideation (SID). Because of the potential lethality of SID, SID in MDD is a highly drug-treated condition that uses an array of drug classes including, but not limited to, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), benzodiazepines, and—as adjunctive therapies—atypical antipsychotics. Such therapies are intended to treat MDD and, by extension, address SID. Even though the drug market is entrenched with generic therapies, MDD patients’ heterogeneous responses to a treatment give branded drugs (e.g., Trintellix [Lundbeck/Takeda], Rexulti [Otsuka/Lundbeck]) the opportunity for use, often as later-line therapies. Given MDD’s crowded and competitive landscape, drug marketers and developers will find value in understanding how MDD patients with SID are being treated based on real-world data.
- What patient share do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in MDD patients newly diagnosed with SID? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed MDD patients with SID?
- How has Trintellix been integrated into the treatment algorithm?
- What proportion of MDD patients with SID receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of MDD patients with SID are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most widely used combination therapies?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated MDD patients with SID?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed analysis of brand use across different lines of therapy using real-world patient-level claims data so that clients can accurately assess their source of business and quantify areas of opportunity for increasing their brand share.
Markets covered: United States
Real-world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key companies: Otsuka, Lundbeck, Takeda, Allergan
Key drugs: Aripiprazole (Abilify, generics), citalopram, trazodone, Fetzima, Rexulti, Trintellix, Viibryd
Key analysis provided:
- Brand Usage Across Longitudinal Patient Sample.
- Newly Diagnosed Patient Analysis.
- Treatment Initiation and Progression.
- Line of Therapy Analysis.
- Combination Therapy Analysis.
- Source of Business for Recently Treated Patients.
- Persistency and Compliance Analysis.
- Product-Level Patient Flow Charts.
- Unipolar Depression - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis Treatment Algorithms Claims Data Analysis Suicidal Ideation In Major Depressive Disorder
- Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis - Suicidal Ideation in Major Depressive Disorder US Analysis [May 2018]
Author(s): Lisa Cloonan, BA
Lisa joined Decision Resources Group in 2015 as a business insights analyst for the Central Nervous System and Ophthalmology division. In this role, she analyzes the commercial opportunities for pharmacological therapies across the psychiatry space.
Prior to joining Decision Resources Group, Lisa spent 6 years in clinical stroke research at Massachusetts General Hospital. While in the clinical research field, Lisa developed an expertise in neuroimaging analysis, as well as authored and co-authored articles on the influence of white matter hyperintensity burden on stroke risk and recovery. Lisa holds bachelor of arts from Connecticut College, where her course work focused on behavioral neuroscience.