Painful diabetic neuropathy (PDN) in the United States is defined as having had numbness, loss of feeling, or painful sensations in the feet within the last three months. PDN is managed by multiple well-established treatment options, many of which are generic. Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), antiepileptic drugs, and opioid-based drugs are most commonly used to treat PDN patients. However, current analgesics offer only inadequate pain relief, and so it is important to understand use of current therapies in newly diagnosed and recently treated PDN patients thought the use of national patient-level claims data.
- What patient share do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed PDN patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently-treated and new diagnosed PDN patients?
- How have Lyrica, gabapentin, and hydrocodone plus acetaminophen been integrated into the treatment algorithm?
- What proportion of PDN patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within a year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of PDN patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most widely used combination therapies?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients with PDN?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed analysis of brand usage across different lines of therapy using real-world data patient-level claims data so you can accurately assess your source of business and quantify areas of opportunity for increasing your brand share.
Markets covered: United States
Real World data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key companies: Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Depomed
Key drugs: Lyrica, gabapentin (Neurontin, generics), duloxetine (Cymbalta, generics), Nucynta ER
Key Analysis provided:
- Brand Usage Across Longitudinal Patient Sample
- Newly Diagnosed Patient Analysis
- Treatment Initiation and Progression
- Line of Therapy Analysis
- Combination Therapy Analysis
- Source of Business for Recently Treated Patients
- Persistency and Compliance Analysis
- Product-level Patient Flow Charts
- Neuropathic Pain - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis: Painful Diabetic Neuropathy (US)
- Treatment Algorthims Claims Data Analysis in PDN (April 2018)
Author(s): Audreza Das, P.G. Dip.
Audreza Das is a Senior Analyst in the CNS/Ophthalmology team at Decision Resources Group
She has authored content across indications, including neuropathic pain, age-related macular degeneration, treatment-related depression, painful diabetic neuropathy, and migraine. Ms. Das has previously worked at Novo Nordisk, as a Market Analyst for European markets. Previous experience at a SME, included developing disease competitive landscapes, covering global conferences etc. Ms. Das received her B.E. degree in Biotechnology from Birla Institute of Technology, a deemed university and her P.G. Diploma in Cancer Immunology & Biotechnology from University of Nottingham.