Parkinson’s disease (PD) treatment is complex. The disease is heterogeneous, requiring individualized treatment and frequent adjustments to achieve symptom control. New therapies that address PD motor and nonmotor symptoms have reached the U.S. market, and more are set to emerge from a dynamic pipeline. Understanding treatment pathways in PD today will be crucial for developers of new therapies facing a complicated, increasingly generic market. Our Treatment Algorithms offering provides national patient-level claims data to explore the use of key therapies in both newly diagnosed and recently treated patients.
- What patient share do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed PD patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed PD patients?
- How have Rytary and other new brands been integrated into the treatment algorithm?
- What proportion of newly diagnosed PD patients received drug therapy during our tracking period, and how quickly? What percentage of these patients progressed to later lines of therapy during the tracking period?
- What percentage of PD patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most widely used combination therapies?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients with PD?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed analysis of brand use across different lines of therapy using real-world patient-level claims data so that clients can accurately assess their source of business and quantify areas of opportunity for increasing their brand share.
Geographies: United States.
Real-world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis.
Key drugs covered: Rytary and other levodopa products, Apokyn, rasagiline, selegiline, oral dopamine agonists, Neupro, entacapone, Nuplazid, and other antipsychotics
Key analysis provided:
- Brand use across longitudinal patient sample.
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis.
- Treatment initiation and progression.
- Line of therapy analysis.
- Combination therapy analysis.
- Source of business for recently treated patients.
- Persistency and compliance analysis.
- Product-level patient flowcharts.
- Parkinson's Disease - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis (US)
Author(s): Bethany Christmann, PhD
Bethany Christmann, Ph.D., has been with DRG since 2015, and is a Senior Business Insights Analyst with the Central Nervous System/Ophthalmology team. In this role, she covers the neurology space, specializing in Parkinson’s disease and epilepsy; she provides expert insight and authors primary market research and forecasting content focused on these and other neurology indications. Prior to joining DRG, Bethany earned her Ph.D. in neuroscience from Brandeis University, where she studied the cellular interactions involved in memory consolidation and their link to sleep behavior.