In the United States a plethora of pharmacological treatments from an array of drug classes are available to patients with major depressive disorder (MDD), a highly drug-treated condition. Though the MDD drug market is highly entrenched with generic therapies, MDD patients’ heterogeneous responses to antidepressants and/or atypical antipsychotics afford branded drugs (e.g., Trintellix [Lundbeck / Takeda], Rexulti [Otsuka / Lundbeck]) the opportunity to be introduced into the treatment paradigm, often as later-line therapies. Given MDD’s highly crowded and competitive landscape, it is valuable for drug marketers and developers to understand how MDD patients are being treated using real-world data.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed MDD patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed MDD patients?
- How has Lundbeck / Otsuka’s Rexulti (brexpiprazole) been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is its source of business?
- What percentage of MDD patients receive Lundbeck / Takeda’s Trintellix (vortioxetine) within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of MDD patients are treated with monotherapy vs. combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
Markets covered: United States
Real world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key companies: Allergan, Eli Lilly, Lundbeck, Otsuka, Sunovion, Takeda
Key drugs: Aripiprazole (Abilify, aripiprazole), citalopram (Celexa, generics), duloxetine (Cymbalta, generics), Fetzima, Latuda, Rexulti, Trintellix, Viibryd
Key analysis provided:
- Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis
- Treatment initiation and progression
- Line of therapy analysis
- Combination therapy analysis
- Source of business for recently treated patients
- Persistency and compliance analysis
- Product-level patient flow charts