Celltrion’s Herzuma was the first biosimilar of Roche’s Herceptin, a blockbuster HER2-targeted therapy, to launch in Europe. A few months later, three additional trastuzumab biosimilars launched in Europe: Merck & Co.’s Ontruzant Amgen’s Kanjinti, and Pfizer’s Trazimera. This series tracks uptake of these biosimilars and medical oncologists’ awareness of these agents in order to gauge their impact on the commercially lucrative breast cancer and gastroesophageal cancer therapy markets. The series investigates perceptions of trastuzumab biosimilars, drivers of and barriers to their use, and future use expectations. Promotional efforts, prescriber and nonprescriber profiles, and benchmarking of these agents’ launch success versus that of other launched biosimilars are explored to better understand the dynamics of the German biosimilars market.
- Are German medical oncologists aware of Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, and Trazimera?
- What are the drivers of prescribing of Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, and Trazimera?
- What is the current level of Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, and Trazimera use, and how is it changing over time?
- Are German physicians prescribing Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, or Trazimera in combination with Perjeta?
- Have physicians experienced pressure to prescribe Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, and Trazimera?
- What promotional messages are sales representatives using for Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, Trazimera, and Herceptin?
Emerging Biosimilars (Germany) is a three-wave series based on primary research data collected at 1 month, 6 months, and 12 months postcommercial launch with German physicians. The research captures physicians’ awareness, perceptions, and use of the launched product, as well as anticipated future trends. Insight is also provided on promotional efforts, prescriber and nonprescriber profiles, and benchmarking against other launched agents.
Wave 1: September 2018.
Wave 2: February 2019.
Wave 3: July 2019.
A survey of 60 medical oncologists.
Key metrics included
- Unaided and aided awareness of Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, and Trazimera.
- Familiarity with and impressions of Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, and Trazimera.
- Prescriber and nonprescriber profiles.
- Willingness to prescribe Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, and Trazimera.
- Performance of Herzuma, Ontruzant, Kanjinti, and Trazimera on key attributes.
- Sales representative frequency, reach, and satisfaction.
- Benchmarking against previously launched biosimilars.
- Oncology: Trastuzumab Biosimilars Launch Tracking (Germany) Wave 3
- Emerging Biosimilars: Trastuzumab Biosimilars Launch Tracker (W3)
- Executive Summary
Author(s): Jimmy Jacob
Jimmy Jacob, is a Business Insights Analyst in the Biosimilars team. Prior to joining DRG, Jimmy worked as a Scientist in Medimmune and Horizon Discovery mostly involving CRIPSR/Cas9 therapeutics. He received his master’s degree in Biotechnology from University of Dundee and his from Imperial College London. His work involved identifying novel molecules that regulated oestrogen receptor-alpha in breast cancer.