Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease of unclear etiology. It is characterized by tissue infiltration of granulomas, most commonly into the lung and lymph nodes, but the skin, heart, eyes, liver, and other tissues may also be affected. Although many sarcoidosis patients have nonprogressive disease or experience remission without treatment, more-severe disease can lead to organ damage (e.g., lung fibrosis) and necessitate pharmacotherapy, often with oral glucocorticoids. Although a modest evidence base drives use of conventional oral immunosuppressants and TNF-alpha inhibitors in the management of sarcoidosis, approved treatment options are greatly needed for patients who do not respond to, or are poor candidates for, oral corticosteroids.
- What patient share do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed sarcoidosis patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed sarcoidosis patients?
- How have prednisone, oral immunosuppressants, and TNF-alpha inhibitors been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is their source of business?
- What proportion of sarcoidosis patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of sarcoidosis patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients with sarcoidosis?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms Sarcoidosis US June 2019
Author(s): Nuno Tiago Giao Antunes, PhD
Nuno T. Antunes, , is senior business insights analyst on the Infectious, Niche, and Rare Diseases team at Decision Resources Group, specializing in antibacterial agents. Previously, he was a Latin America Market Access senior analyst in the Global Market Access Insights Team, where he developed expertise in market access, pricing and reimbursement, health technology assessment, and health policy. Nuno holds a in animal health from the Universidad de las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, and a degree from the Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, Portugal. Prior to joining DRG, he conducted research in antimicrobial resistance and antimicrobial development, and worked in the medical devices industry as a scientist.