Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is disease characterized by chronic and progressive joint inflammation that commonly leads to permanent, debilitating tissue damage and cartilage and bone destruction. Treatment is typically initiated with cost-effective conventional DMARDs, such as methotrexate. The U.S. market for conventional DMARD-refractory RA patients is crowded with efficacious biologics, including blockbuster TNF-alpha inhibitors such as Amgen’s Enbrel, AbbVie’s Humira, and Janssen’s Remicade, as well as non-TNF-alpha inhibitors such as BMS’s Orencia and Genentech’s Rituxan and Actemra. In addition, Pfizer’s JAK inhibitor Xeljanz, the first targeted oral molecule approved for RA, continues to gain steady uptake in early lines of therapy. The FDA approval of Eli Lilly’s Olumiant in Q2 2018 has added further competition within the JAK inhibitor class and has helped to expand physicians’ treatment armamentarium.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed RA patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed RA patients?
- How have non-TNF-alpha inhibitor biologics and JAK inhibitors been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is their source of business?
- What percentage of RA patients receive drug therapy within three years of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within three years of diagnosis?
- What percentage of RA patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithm: Claims Data Analysis-Rheumatoid Arthritis-US PPT [April 2019]
Author(s): Ajay Puri, MBA
Ajay Puri is an Associate Analyst in the Immune and Inflammatory team at Decision Resources Group and works on indications like Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s disease, and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy and has earned his MBA (Pharmaceutical) in marketing from NIPER, Mohali. Prior to joining DRG, Ajay worked as a Knowledge Management Associate (Oncology Vertical) at ZS Associates and worked on strategic projects such as competitive assessment, company and product profiling, conference coverage for clients, client specific newsletters and other business development initiatives.