The asthma market in the EU5 is highly competitive. A large number of approved agents are available including maintenance therapies—LABA/ICS FDC (e.g., GSK’s Seretide and Relvar, AstraZeneca’s Symbicort, branded generic and generic salmeterol/fluticasone), ICSs (e.g., AstraZeneca’s Pulmicort, Teva’s Qvar), leukotriene inhibitors, biologics (e.g., Novartis’s Xolair, GSK’s Nucala), and a LAMA (Boehringer Ingelheim’s Spiriva, generics)—as well as rescue treatments, such as SABAs (e.g., GSK’s Ventolin). Understanding patient pathways and drivers of treatment decision for key players in the market can help optimize uptake of these agents and provide valuable insights for manufacturers of novel brands coming to the market.
- What patient share do key drug classes and individual therapies garner in intermittent, mild, moderate, and/or severe asthma?
- Which main factors influence treatment practices in asthma? What is the sequencing of treatment for asthma? What do physicians report as recent and anticipated changes in their treatment practices?
- What are the main reasons why certain eligible patients do not receive asthma biologics? What features drive the choice of a biologic in asthmatics?
- Which features drive the choice of a LABA/ICS FDC agent? What are the main obstacles in prescribing of individual branded and generic LABA/ICS FDCs?
- What are the compliance and persistency rates for key products on the market?
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use so you can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics in order to more effectively increase or defend your market position.
Geographies: EU5 (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom)
Primary research: Survey of approximately 250 pulmonologists in the EU5
Key drugs covered: Seretide, Symbicort, Relvar, Formodual/Foster, Flutiform, Spiriva, Xolair, Nucala, Cinqaero, montelukast
Key insights provided:
- Factors influencing disease management and treatment decisions.
- Drivers and constraints of treatment selection.
- Physician-reported treatment practices and brand-level patient shares.
- Rationale for changes in treatment approach.
- Physician insight on persistency and compliance.
- Physician-reported recent/anticipated changes in brand usage or treatment approach.
- Detailed Expanded Analyses Asthma (EU5)
- Current Treatment: Physician Insights Asthma EU5
Author(s): Elena Kozhemyakina, PhD
Elena Kozhemyakina, PhD, is a Senior Business Insight Analyst at Decision Resources, Inc., specializing in pharmaceutical market analysis of the immune system disorders with expertise in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, asthma, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Prior to joining Decision Resources, Dr. Kozhemyakina completed a postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard Medical School, where she investigated molecular mechanisms involved in limb patterning, cartilage formation and pathogenesis of osteoarthritis. She published multiple peer-reviewed papers focused on molecular signalling of developmental disorders.