With over a dozen immunomodulatory disease-modifying therapies (DMTs) available to treat multiple sclerosis (MS) and many more in the pipeline, the treatment journey for U.S. MS patients continues to evolve. To date, the MS market has accommodated a role for all current therapies due to disease heterogeneity, individualized treatment decisions, and the unique clinical profile that defines each DMT. That said, with each new launch, players in the MS space—new and seasoned alike—must assess where their products fit into an increasingly crowded market. Meanwhile, competing paradigms of escalation versus early intervention with high-efficacy drugs remain a source of debate, further stoked by the launch of Roche / Genentech’s Ocrevus. This national patient-level claims data analysis explores the current DMTs’ positioning, examines line of therapy progression, and assesses persistence and compliance by brand.
- What patient shares do key brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed MS patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed MS patients?
- How have new entrants been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of MS patients receive drug therapy within two years of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within two years of diagnosis?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Markets covered: United States
Real-world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key companies: Bayer, Novartis, EMD Serono / Pfizer, Biogen, Teva, Sandoz, Sanofi Genzyme, Genentech / Roche
Key drugs covered: Aubagio, Copaxone / glatiramer acetate, Gilenya, interferons (all), Lemtrada, Ocrevus, Tecfidera, Tysabri
Key analysis provided:
- Brand/therapy usage across a longitudinal patient sample.
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis.
- Treatment initiation and progression.
- Line of therapy analysis.
- Combination therapy analysis.
- Source of business for recently treated patients.
- Persistency and compliance analysis.
- Product-level patient flowchart.
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis - Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms CDA-Multiple Sclerosis-US-May 2019
Author(s): Shefali Gulati, MBA Pharm
Shefali Gulati, Associate analyst, is part of the Central Nervous System, Pain, and Ophthalmology team at Decision Resources Group. She is responsible for performing extensive secondary market research and analysis for major pharmaceutical markets. She comes with one year of experience working on multiple client projects revolving around opportunity assessment, competitive landscape, pipeline analysis, and key product profiling. She holds a MBA degree in Pharmaceutical Management from the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) in India and Bachelor’s in Pharmacy from DIPSAR.