Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a chronic inflammatory disease primarily involving the sacroiliac joints and the axial skeleton, resulting in chronic back pain and stiffness. The key treatment goals for AS include easing the signs and symptoms of the disease, improving physical function, preventing disability, and slowing or preventing structural damage. TNF-α inhibitors (AbbVie’s Humira, Amgen’s Enbrel, Janssen’s Remicade and Simponi / Simponi Aria, UCB’s Cimzia, and infliximab biosimilars) have demonstrated efficacy in reducing disease activity in AS. All approved agents in this class are perceived as highly effective options for patients who require more-potent therapies beyond first-line nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). The interleukin (IL)-17 inhibitors—Novartis’s Cosentyx and the recently approved Taltz (Eli Lilly)—offer an alternative mechanism of action as the only approved non-TNF biological therapies for AS.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed AS patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed AS patients?
- How has Cosentyx been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is its source of business?
- What percentage of AS patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of AS patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis : Treatment Algorithms : Claims Data Analysis : Ankylosing Spondylitis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms Claims Data Analysis Ankylosing Spondylitis US April 2020
Author(s): Colleen E. Albacker, PhD
Colleen E. Albacker, is a director with the Immune and Inflammatory Disorders group at Decision Resources Group, where she comanages a team of analysts generating syndicated market research content. She has authored market research reports analyzing physician, payer, and market trends in respiratory indications, including asthma and COPD. Prior to joining Decision Resources Group, Dr. Albacker conducted her graduate research on chromatin-modifying factors in zebrafish cancer and hematopoietic development at Harvard Medical School and Boston Children’s Hospital. She also gained experience with market research through a fellowship with the Harvard Office of Technology Development. Dr. Albacker holds a in genetics from Harvard University and a in biology with honors from the Pennsylvania State University.