Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a chronic inflammatory disease primarily involving the sacroiliac joints and the axial skeleton, resulting in chronic back pain and stiffness. The key treatment goals for AS include improving signs and symptoms of the disease, improving physical function, preventing disability, and slowing or preventing structural damage. TNF-α inhibitors (AbbVie’s Humira, Amgen’s Enbrel, Janssen’s Remicade and Simponi, UCB’s Cimzia, and infliximab biosimilars) have demonstrated efficacy in reducing disease activity in AS. All approved agents in this class are perceived as highly effective options for patients who require more-potent therapies beyond first-line nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Novartis’s IL-17 inhibitor Cosentyx offers an alternative mechanism of action as the only approved non-TNF biological therapy for AS.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed AS patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed AS patients?
- How has Cosentyx been integrated into the treatment algorithm?
- What percentage of AS patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of AS patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
Markets covered: United States.
Key drugs: Humira, Enbrel, Remicade, Simponi, Cimzia, Cosentyx, Vimovo, methotrexate.
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Ankylosing Spondylitis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis
- Treatment Algorithms Ankylosing Spondylitis US February 2019
Author(s): Maria Genco, Ph.D
Maria Genco, is an analyst on the Immune and Inflammatory Disorders group at Decision Resources Group, primarily focusing on rheumatoid arthritis and axial spondyloarthritis. She has authored market research reports on the RA disease landscape and commercial outlook of drugs, unmet needs in RA, and market access and reimbursement for RA targeted therapies. Prior to joining Decision Resources, Dr. Genco received her and in neuroscience from Brandeis University and a in neuroscience from Wellesley College.