Hormonal therapies have dominated the treatment of prostate cancer for the past decade. Zytiga (Janssen, generics) and Xtandi (Medivation / Astellas Pharma), initially approved for metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC), account for a sizeable market share in this setting. However, following their label expansions, these agents are also quickly becoming standards of care for newly diagnosed metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer (mHSPC). Xofigo (Bayer HealthCare) and Jevtana (Sanofi) are nonhormonal treatments for mCRPC, particularly in later lines. The penetration of Zytiga (abiraterone), Xtandi, Erleada, and nonhormonal agents (e.g., docetaxel) into other patient populations (e.g., newly diagnosed mHSPC, nonmetastatic CRPC [nmCRPC]) will be key market drivers. This report examines surveyed medical oncologists’ and urologists’ current prescribing practices for prostate cancer in the United States and analyzes the key drivers influencing their treatment decisions.
- What are the drug-treatment rates across clinically and commercially relevant prostate cancer patient populations?
- How much uptake have Xtandi and Erleada experienced in the nmCRPC setting to date, according to U.S. medical oncologists and urologists?
- What are the patient shares of key therapies used to treat mCRPC, mHSPC, and nmCRPC across all lines of therapy?
- What are the main drivers of, and obstacles to, the prescribing of current therapies for mCRPC, mHSPC, and nmCRPC?
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use so that marketers can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics to more effectively increase or defend their market position.
Markets covered: United States
Primary research: Survey of 102 medical oncologists and urologists (51 of each specialty) in the United States fielded in April-May 2019.
Key drugs covered: Zytiga / abiraterone acetate, Xtandi, Erleada, Yonsa, Provenge, Xofigo, Jevtana
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis (US)
- Current Treatment Physician Insights Prostate Cancer US August 2019
Author(s): Sudha Malhotra, Ph.D
Sudha Malhotra joined Decision Resource Group in 2018. She is responsible for performing secondary market analysis including patent research, pricing, and clinical trial assessment for major pharmaceutical markets covering a wide range of oncology indications. She obtained her doctorate degree in life sciences from the National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi, India and has authored several original peer-reviewed journal articles. She holds a bachelor’s degree in microbiology and a master’s degree in biomedical sciences both from the University of Delhi, India.