Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a chronic intermittent relapsing disorder of the large intestine and rectum, characterized by diarrhea, abdominal pain, rectal bleeding, fever, and weight loss. The primary goal of UC treatment is to induce and maintain remission. Treatment of UC patients typically begins with conventional agents (e.g., 5-ASAs), which are often effective for those with more mild to moderate disease, but progresses to more-potent drugs, such as immunosuppressants and/or biologics, as needed. Among the biologics, TNF-alpha inhibitors (e.g., Janssen/Merck’s Remicade, AbbVie/Eisai’s Humira) and CAM inhibitors (e.g., Takeda’s Entyvio) are the mainstays of treatment. However, therapies such as Pfizer’s Xeljanz (the first approved oral Jak inhibitor) and Janssen’s Stelara (approved for CD, preregistered for UC) have a small—but growing—market share.
- What patient share do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed UC patients?
- What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and new diagnosed adult UC patients?
- How have Remicade and Humira been integrated into the treatment algorithm and what is its source of business?
- What proportion of adult UC patients receive drug therapy within 365 days of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within 365 days of diagnosis?
- What percentage of adult UC patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients with UC?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data, so you can accurately assess your source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for your marketed or emerging brand.
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis (US) - Adult
- Treatment Algorithm: Claims Data Analysis-Ulcerative Colitis Adult-US PPT [January 2019]
Author(s): Ajay Puri, MBA
Ajay Puri is an Associate Analyst in the Immune and Inflammatory team at Decision Resources Group and works on indications like Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s disease, and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy and has earned his MBA (Pharmaceutical) in marketing from NIPER, Mohali. Prior to joining DRG, Ajay worked as a Knowledge Management Associate (Oncology Vertical) at ZS Associates and worked on strategic projects such as competitive assessment, company and product profiling, conference coverage for clients, client specific newsletters and other business development initiatives.