Hydroxychloroquine, corticosteroids, and conventional immunosuppressants are the mainstay of treatment for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), a chronic, complex autoimmune disease affecting multiple organ systems. Unfortunately, many patients with SLE fail to respond to the aforementioned therapies and/or experience significant adverse events. Clinicians use other agents to treat these patients, such as biologics Benlysta (GSK) and Rituxan (Roche/Biogen; off-label). This content will provide manufacturers of current treatments, as well as those developing novel SLE agents, with insights regarding the current use of SLE drugs and will add a perspective on market trends in the SLE space.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed SLE patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed SLE patients?
- How has Benlysta been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is its source of business?
- What percentage of SLE patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of SLE patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (March 2019).xlsx
Author(s): Elena Kozhemyakina, PhD
Elena Kozhemyakina, PhD, is a Senior Business Insight Analyst at Decision Resources, Inc., specializing in pharmaceutical market analysis of the immune system disorders with expertise in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, asthma, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Prior to joining Decision Resources, Dr. Kozhemyakina completed a postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard Medical School, where she investigated molecular mechanisms involved in limb patterning, cartilage formation and pathogenesis of osteoarthritis. She published multiple peer-reviewed papers focused on molecular signalling of developmental disorders.