Crohn’s disease (CD) is a chronic inflammatory disorder of the gastrointestinal tract characterized by diarrhea, abdominal pain, and weight loss. The primary goal of CD treatment is to induce and maintain remission. Treatment of CD typically begins with safe, albeit often less-efficacious, conventional agents (e.g., 5-ASAs) but often progresses to more-potent drugs, such as immunosuppressants and/or biologics. However, this scenario is changing, and more physicians are prescribing biologics for recently diagnosed CD. Among the biologics, TNF-alpha inhibitors (e.g., Janssen/Merck’s Remicade, AbbVie/Eisai’s Humira) are the mainstays of treatment, but newer therapies, including Takeda’s Entyvio and Janssen’s Stelara, have a growing market share.
- What patient share do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in adult patients with newly diagnosed CD? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among adult patients with recently treated and newly diagnosed CD?
- How have Entyvio and Stelara been integrated into the treatment algorithm?
- What proportion of adult CD patients receive drug therapy within 365 days of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within 365 days of diagnosis?
- What percentage of adult CD patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most widely used combination therapies? What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated adult patients with CD?
Real World data
Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key Drugs Covered
Humira, Remicade, Entyvio, Stelara, Cimzia, aminosalicylates, immunosuppressants
Key Analysis provided
- Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis
- Treatment initiation and progression
- Line of therapy analysis
- Combination therapy analysis
- Source of business for recently treated patients
- Persistency and compliance analysis
- Product-level patient flowcharts
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed analysis of brand usage across different lines of therapy using real-world data patient-level claims data so that clients can accurately assess their source of business and quantify areas of opportunity for increasing their brand share.
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis (US) - Adult
- Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis-Crohn's Disease Adult-US PPT [January 2019]
Author(s): Ritesh Gupta, PhD
Ritesh Gupta is a Lead Analyst on the immune and inflammatory disorders team at Decision Resources Group, whose work focuses primarily on Psoriatic Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease. He holds a degree in Cell Biology from Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, where he worked on development of novel inhibitors for HGF/MET signaling pathways. Prior to joining DRG, Ritesh has worked as an assistant manager with BioXcel corporation and provided insights on various consulting projects. He was also associated with GVK Biosciences and worked on drug repurposing projects.