DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in six major mature pharmaceutical markets (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom). We report the prevalence of the disease for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
In addition to forecasting prevalent patient populations, we estimate the number of drug-treatment opportunities at specific lines of therapy in the major mature pharmaceutical markets.
DRG Epidemiology’s SMA forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with SMA?
- Of all people diagnosed with SMA, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets under study are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of SMA over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following SMA subpopulations:
- Prevalence cases of SMA by type.
- Prevalence cases of SMA by drug-treatment status.
- Prevalent carriers of SMN1 gene copies.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Mature Markets
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of SMA
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases by SMA by Type
- Drug-Treated Prevalent Cases of SMA
- Prevalent Carriers of Nonfunctional SMN1
- Epidemiology Data
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Risk/Protective Factors
Author(s): Nishant Kumar, MPH
Nishant is a senior epidemiologist and head of oncology within the epidemiology team at Decision Resources Group. He also covers some CNS diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. His key interests are developing interactive patient flows, and modelling disease progression to forecast commercially relevant drug-treatable incident and prevalent populations. Nishant also spends a lot of time collaborating with clients to help answer more specific questions through custom work and consulting projects. His qualifications include an MSc in Public Health with specialization in epidemiology and statistics from King’s College London, and a BSc in Medical Studies from the University of Birmingham.