Fibromyalgia is a complex disease that is difficult to treat because of patient heterogeneity, frequent comorbid conditions, and numerous symptoms, including pain, depression, fatigue, and sleep dysfunction. The few drugs that are FDA-approved for fibromyalgia (i.e., Pfizer’s Lyrica, Allergan’s Savella, duloxetine [Eli Lilly’s Cymbalta, generics]) have limited efficacy, resulting in off-label use of various antidepressants, analgesics, muscle relaxants, and sleep aids to manage patient symptoms. Although the recognition, diagnosis, and treatment of fibromyalgia have improved dramatically over the past decade, the treatment journeys of fibromyalgia patients remain very complex and include high rates of treatment discontinuation, drug switching, and polypharmacy.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed fibromyalgia patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed fibromyalgia patients?
- How are therapies approved to treat fibromyalgia (Lyrica, Savella, duloxetine) integrated into the treatment algorithm? What are their sources of business?
- What percentage of fibromyalgia patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of fibromyalgia patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
Markets covered: United States
Real-world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key companies: Allergan, Pfizer
Key drugs: Lyrica, Lyrica CR, Savella, duloxetine, gabapentin, SNRIs, SSRIs, muscle relaxants, NSAIDs, opioid analgesics, sedative hypnotics, and others
Key analysis provided:
- Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis
- Treatment initiation and progression
- Line of therapy analysis
- Combination therapy analysis
- Source of business for recently treated patients
- Persistency and compliance analysis
- Product-level patient flowcharts
- Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis in Fibromyalgia (US)
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Fibromyalgia US July 2019
Author(s): Audreza Das, P.G. Dip
Audreza Das is a Senior Analyst in the CNS/Ophthalmology team at Decision Resources Group She has authored content across indications, including neuropathic pain, age-related macular degeneration, treatment-related depression, painful diabetic neuropathy, and migraine. Ms. Das has previously worked at Novo Nordisk, as a Market Analyst for European markets. Previous experience at a SME, included developing disease competitive landscapes, covering global conferences etc. Ms. Das received her degree in Biotechnology from Birla Institute of Technology, a deemed university and her Diploma in Cancer Immunology & Biotechnology from University of Nottingham.