Decision Resources’ European Physician & Payer Forum report “Market Access Challenges Facing Newly Launched and Emerging Type 2 Diabetes Agents in the EU5: Physician Prescribing Perspectives and Payer Insights” explores the many clinical and funding/budgetary/reimbursement factors that affect the use and sales of type 2 diabetes agents. It draws on insights diabetologists, endocrinologists, and general practitioners (GPs) in the EU5 and from interviews with 15 European payers,all of whom have influence at a national or regional level. Interviewed payers include the following:
- France: A national payer and past member of the Transparency Commission (CT), a member/advisor of CEPS(France’s economic committee),hospital pharmacy directors.
- Germany: A member of the Gemeinsamer Bundesausschuß der Ärzte, Zahnärzte, Krankenhäuser und Krankenkassen(GBA; Joint Federal Committee of Physicians, Dentists, Hospitals, and Health Insurance Funds);payer-advising KOL involved in writing diabetes guidelines; hospital pharmacy directors.
- Italy: Regional hospital formulary (PTOR) members with responsibility for assessing new drugs for formulary inclusion, an Agenzia Italiana del Farmaco (AIFA; Italian Medicines Agency) advisor,regional payers.
- Spain: Consultant for the Ministry of Health and aDirección General de Farmacia y Productos Sanitarios (DGFPS; General Directorate of Pharmacy and Health Products)advisor,a hospital pharmacy director,a chief pharmacist, and an assistant university professor.
- United Kingdom:Payer-advising KOL who also acts as gateway lead for diabetes for a regional primary care trust (PCT); Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Head of Medicines management, also involved in writing the joint formulary guidelines for diabetes managed entry;chief pharmacist on a health board, also a member of the AWMSG (All Wales Medicines Strategy Group) and a regional prescribing committee.