BURLINGTON, Mass., May 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that the use of biologics for the treatment of psoriasis among dermatologists has remained relatively flat since 2011 in the major European markets (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom), with less than half of severe patients being treated with a biologic. However, uptake of Janssen's Stelara has increased across the board, mostly at the expense of Amgen/Stiefel/Pfizer/Takeda's Enbrel, and to a lesser extent Janssen/Merck/Mitsubishi Tanabe's Remicade. Not only has Stelara's overall brand share grown, it is increasingly the preferred option in earlier lines of therapy.
Other key findings from the TreatmentTrends® report entitled Psoriasis 2014 (EU):
- Dermatologists' satisfaction with available agents: Currently, approximately half of surveyed dermatologists are satisfied with available agents for the treatment of psoriasis.
- Key driver of prescribing: Improvement in a patient's quality of life, among other factors, is a key driver in choosing a treatment option among surveyed specialists.
- Impact of patient request on treatment decisions: The majority of surveyed dermatologists indicate that patient request is not an important factor in their treatment decisions.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Courtney Stanton, Ph.D.:
- "Despite the relatively recent launch of Stelara and its corresponding lack of long-term safety data compared to the TNF-alpha inhibitors, the agent is gaining momentum in the treatment of moderate-to-severe patients. Dermatologists in the EU5 perceive Stelara to be superior on a number of key attributes, including tolerability and safety."
- "While the use of biologics is constrained in the EU5 due in large part to issues around patient access, the need for new therapy options remains high for moderate-to-severe patients."
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group