BURLINGTON, Mass., June 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that the U.S. electrophysiology (EP) mapping and ablation device market will continue to experience strong growth through 2022 as a result of the increasing adoption of catheter ablation as a treatment for atrial fibrillation (AF). The continued uptake of ablation in this indication will drive the market at a strong 10 percent compound annual growth rate through 2022.
Other key findings from Decision Resources Group's coverage of the U.S. EP mapping and ablation device market:
- Updated U.S. guidelines: Although the trend toward treating AF with ablation has been ongoing for the past few years, the 2014 update to U.S. guidelines just elevated the status of catheter ablation to a first-line treatment for the condition. This will further spur physician uptake and result in procedure volume growth.
- Contact force-sensing catheters: The 2014 release of contact force-sensing catheters in the U.S. will also prompt strong growth in procedure volumes going forward. These catheters can increase the effectiveness of an ablation and have been eagerly anticipated in the U.S., having already experienced strong acceptance in Europe.
- Biosense Webster and St. Jude Medical: The competitors with the most developed contact force-sensing technology include Biosense Webster and Endosense. The strong interest in this technology is also demonstrated by St. Jude Medical's 2013 acquisition of Endosense.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Roald Dhoska:
- "Lingering budgetary constraints will continue to hinder the EP lab system market due to the high investment required for these technologies, and many smaller facilities have been using systems beyond their recommended life spans. In the catheter markets, the reprocessing of diagnostic catheters will continue to increase in popularity as a cost-saving measure; in fact, the reprocessed diagnostic catheter market will grow at a considerably faster rate than original equipment manufacturer catheter revenues through 2022."
- "Despite competition from drug therapies, increased hospital budgetary constraints and greater emphasis on controlling cardiovascular risk factors such as obesity and diabetes, the ablation catheter market will continue to benefit from rapid uptake of premium-priced advanced catheters; these catheters feature technologies such as contact force-sensing and cryo and laser balloons, which are beneficial in more complicated procedures such as AF ablation."
- Roald Dhoska has written a Medtech 360 report on this subject entitled US Markets for Electrophysiology Mapping and Ablation Devices 2014.
- Decision Resources Group's Marketrack, which provides market share data by brand for the EP mapping and ablation device market, can be found here.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or
registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group