BURLINGTON, Mass., Oct. 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that the United States and European breast implant and reconstructive device market will expand modestly through 2023, although growth will vary somewhat by region. Because breast augmentations and reconstructions are elective, market growth is dependent on the state of the economy. Therefore, the market will decline in Europe in the next few years, while the United States market will expand.
Other key findings from Decision Resources Group's coverage of the U.S. and European breast implant and reconstructive device market:
- Recovering European economy: Although the European market will decline in the beginning of the forecast period, growth will accelerate as the economy recovers in the region. Slower recovery in Spain, however, will result in the market declining overall between 2013 and 2023.
- Procedure volume growth: Both breast augmentation and reconstruction volumes will grow as a result of rising aesthetic consciousness and increasing breast cancer rates, respectively. However, procedure volume growth will be hindered due to ongoing concerns of an association between breast implants and cancer.
- Media influence: The media has a strong influence on both breast augmentation and reconstruction volumes. In the case of breast augmentations, more celebrities are discussing their experiences with plastic surgery, thereby reducing the stigma around artificially enhanced beauty. In the breast reconstruction space, highly publicized celebrity cases, such as Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy, are easing concerns regarding these procedures.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Kaylee Won:
- "There is growing interest in cohesive silicone breast implants in the U.S. and Europe, particularly since Sientra launched its products in 2012. These products are purported to reduce the risk of silicone migration and leakage. As a result, more companies are capitalizing on this trend. For example, in 2013, Allergan launched its Natrelle 401 while Mentor launched its MemoryShape anatomical breast implant."
- "Mentor and Allergan continue to dominate the breast implant and tissue expander markets, with Mentor representing the only company with products available in all three segments: breast implants, tissue expanders and acellular dermal matrices (ADMs). LifeCell, however, leads the ADM market with its well-established AlloDerm product."
- Kaylee Won has written a Medtech 360 report on this subject entitled US and European Markets for Breast Implant and Reconstructive Devices 2015.
- Kristina Vidug has written blogs on the subject, which can be found here and here.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group