BURLINGTON, Mass., March 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that landmark healthcare legislation in developed markets across the globe, combined with evolving regulatory trends in emerging markets, has created a more complex global market access environment. Even as the world's biggest pharma market—the United States—is in the throes of Healthcare Reform, Japan is ramping up its processes for health technology assessment (HTA). At the same time, emerging markets throughout Asia and Latin America are actively crafting biosimilar regulations and scrutinizing drug reimbursement policies to attain greater value for money. Market-specific data and insights are the only way for businesses concerned with global market access to navigate such complexity.
- The proposed publication of discounted prices in Germany may have a profound effect on drug prices around the world through its impact on international reference pricing.
- Compulsory licensing is increasing in India, and may gain traction in China.
- Japan's evolving approach to price premiums for the most innovative drugs has driven a new focus on HTA.
- U.S. Healthcare Reform and cost-containment efforts in Germany are examples of quickly evolving landscapes where the relative importance of different analytics and datasets is rapidly changing.
- Global market opportunity—in scope or approach—can change in a matter of months, like accepted business practices resulting from the bribery scandal in China or the new pricing regulations in India or Turkey.
- Market entry strategy includes ever-changing pricing, reimbursement and market access hurdles. Accurate insight to the country-specific context is critical. Key questions include:
- Who are the important healthcare decision makers?
- How important is health technology assessment?
- What are the characteristics of regulatory affairs and intellectual property protection?
- What procedures govern price setting and admission to reimbursement?
- What are the key demographic trends in each country?
- How developed is the healthcare infrastructure?
- Will patients have access to innovative brands through insurance coverage?
- Mike Latwis, Senior Director at Decision Resources Group, said: "Global trade agreements, regional economic alliances and the harmonization of regulatory policies create a constant, ever-changing flow of market access opportunities and challenges. For example, policies vary greatly within the Asia Pacific region, so companies doing business there should consider the relative value of conducting clinical trials in Taiwan, developing biosimilars in South Korea or securing local manufacturing in Indonesia. The ability to quickly and easily assess accurate cross-country comparisons of key market access drivers and statistics is crucial to grasp the underlying dynamics in each market and speed any associated decision-making process."
- Roy Moore, Senior Director at Decision Resources Group, adds: "In the United States, market access has been broadly affected by the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the increasing prominence of accountable care organizations, clinical pathways and drug acquisition strategies. Specific therapies and the way brands market to them continue to be profoundly impacted. Pharma companies are creating and executing strategy amid this rapidly changing environment in the United States while managing other country-specific change internationally. The critical question for forward-looking drug firms is whether they are nimble enough to leverage these evolving, nation-specific changes to maximize market share across the globe."
- Find clarity in the face of complexity with Decision Resources Group's NEW Asia Pacific Healthcare Market Statistics Infographic. To download, visit http://www.decisionresourcesgroup.com/Forms/DRG/AsiaPac-Infographic.
About Market Access Tracker
Market Access Tracker offers expert commercial insights and deep global coverage. An online market visualizer interface allows users to view market statistics and answer business questions on an interactive, map-based platform. In-depth, intuitive country profiles on 30 countries across four world regions, effortless access to expert country analysts, succinct Commercialization Outlooks and easily internalized Pricing and Reimbursement Flowcharts offer clarity in the face of global market access complexity. Find out more about the Market Access Tracker here and here.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group