BURLINGTON, Mass., Sept. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that similarities in pricing and reimbursement (P&R) decision criteria and payer requirements in key pharmaceutical markets, along with expert insights into each country, allow pharma to leverage similar payer value messaging across different markets. Global market access is extremely complex, with each country having very specific market access requirements and challenges—and a vast variety of local authorities and approaches to P&R decisions flourishing around the world. Decision Resources Group's new Country Archetypes model explores how P&R decisions are made, identifies similarities among payer requirements, and determines where value messaging can be leveraged to gain favorable market access across many of the world's major and developing markets.
- Decision Resources Group's newest model pulls out six Country Archetypes, which are intended to help multinational pharmaceutical companies prepare for local reimbursement evaluations—and to pinpoint where decision makers can be found.
- Each Country Archetype focuses on the most crucial market access element within each specific group, providing an intuitive, succinct way of outlining similar market access requirements to leverage in the planning of launch and access strategies:
- The Accountants—Countries following an HTA-based system focused on managing access to treatments with a high potential cost to drug budgets and the overall healthcare system.
- The Pragmatists—Countries with an established HTA-based system that primarily evaluates new drugs based on quantifiable cost-effectiveness measures.
- The Evidence Seekers—Countries where reimbursement is dependent on a drug's added clinical value relative to a comparator drug.
- The Deal-Maker—A country where free market pricing exists, but extensive negotiation and discounting is required from both government and private payers to attain attractive formulary positioning.
- The Ceiling Setters—Countries that exert strict price control and often engage in ongoing price cutting.
- The Independents—Countries with a very low level of drug benefit coverage—where patients have high out-of-pocket expenses and limited access to branded medicines.
- To download the Country Archetypes "Travel Guide" and explanatory Executive Briefing, please click here.
- Mary Fletcher-Louis, Vice President of Global Market Access at Decision Resources Group, said: "Regional groupings have become less helpful to the pharma industry—and executives with responsibility for access strategy in scores of markets are often not able to commission high-cost custom payer value messaging research for each market. To provide further insight, our experts developed a model to allow pharma to categorize payers based on metrics that can guide value messaging. The Country Archetypes model is designed to help the industry identify commonalities between markets."
- Roy Moore, Principal Director at Decision Resources Group, adds: "In the key mature and growth markets, the different pharmacoeconomic requirements and payer pressure points demand access strategies tailored to individual countries. Through use of an archetype model, payer value arguments and expensive custom economic models and can be repurposed between markets, saving hundreds of thousands of dollars."
- Decision Resources Group is offering an open webinar based on the new Country Archetypes model. Country Archetypes: A Guided Tour of Market Access in Key Markets Around the World will take place October 7, 2014 and is open to media, payer, provider, government and pharmaceutical executives. Register for the webinar here.
About Market Access Tracker
Market Access Tracker offers expert commercial insights and deep global coverage. An online market visualizer interface allows users to view market statistics and answer business questions on an interactive, map-based platform. In-depth, intuitive country profiles on 29 countries across four world regions, effortless access to expert country analysts, succinct Commercialization Outlooks and easily internalized Pricing and Reimbursement Flowcharts offer clarity in the face of global market access complexity. Find out more about the Market Access Tracker here and here.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group