Decision Resources and Millennium Research Group have produced a new report that finds that GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has implemented strategic initiatives to help ensure continuing strong sales of Advair. The respiratory area is expected to continue to be GSK's leading therapeutic area throughout the forecast period due largely to continuing strong sales of Advair; however, the relative contribution of asthma sales to the company's respiratory segment could shift in favor of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). According to the new report entitled Brands & Strategies: Asthma, approximately 58% of 2005 Advair sales are derived from the asthma market, with the remaining 42% coming from COPD. However, Advair sales for COPD have been growing at triple the rate of asthma sales in the period from 2003 to 2005.

"GSK has several strategic initiatives underway including the creation of a dedicated COPD sales team and the filing of data from the TORCH study that demonstrates reduced mortality in COPD patients treated with Advair that could result in a relative increase in Advair sales for COPD; however, this would have no effect on asthma-related Advair sales," said Craig Speziali, analyst at Millennium Research Group.

Although GSK has shifted its focus of Advair from asthma to COPD, the company retains its interest and commitment to asthma. In addition to its large asthma pipelines, GSK has an active postmarketing clinical trial program in place and an extensive development alliance with Theravance. The Theravance alliance, the Beyond Advair program, allows GSK access to an expanded range of development candidates and Theravance's drug discovery technology, while at the same time maintaining full control over the commercialization of any future products arising from the collaboration.

About Brands & Strategies

Brands & Strategies is the first and only report series to bring together all of the competitive information elements biopharmaceutical companies need to make informed decisions about their products and best next-steps. Each report includes the following:

  * Brand-specific, event-driven, five-year annualized market forecast   * Country-specific market share projections by brand and assessment of     impacts of future events   * Drug class sales by country   * Brand sales by region   * Projected price for all drugs for five years   * Generic pricing impact on all drugs   * Prevalence and diagnosis rates by country   * Promotional spend for each product   * Pipeline analysis by company within a specific disease   * SWOT analysis on each brand   * Clinical trial reviews and clinical trial competitive analysis   * Detailed brand strategy and how it relates to clinical trial results   * Impact of Medicare   * Selling strategies based on clinical trials    About Millennium Research Group 

Millennium Research Group (www.MRG.net), part of the Decision Resources, Inc., family, is a leading provider of strategic information to the healthcare sector. Focused on the medical device, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology industries, the company provides clients its specialized industry expertise through published reports and customized consulting services.

About Decision Resources

Decision Resources, Inc., (www.DecisionResources.com) is a world leader in healthcare market research publications, advisory services, and consulting designed to help clients shape strategy, allocate resources, and master their chosen markets.

All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

  For more information, contact:   Elizabeth Marshall   Decision Resources, Inc.   781-296-2563   emarshall@dresources.com 

SOURCE: Decision Resources, Inc.

CONTACT: Elizabeth Marshall of Decision Resources, Inc.,
+1-781-296-2563, emarshall@dresources.com

Half of Newly Diagnosed Asthma Patients Do Not Fill a Prescription for Treatment Within the First Year of Diagnosis

View Now