BURLINGTON, Mass., June 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Manhattan Research's new Digital Competitive Landscape analysis finds that many rheumatoid arthritis (RA) brands are overlooking valuable ways to reach patients and physicians through digital channels and support their evolving needs. Each opportunity represents a risk in a highly competitive market.
Key findings from the Digital Competitive Landscape for RA analysis:
- Nurse support is underleveraged: Thirty-nine percent of online RA patients are interested in accessing pharma-sponsored nurse support on pharma websites, but just over half of brands tracked offer this service. Nurse support is only offered on product websites, even though online consumers suffering from RA are engaged with pharma-sponsored condition websites.
- Current condition tracking tools are basic: Though most pharma RA websites have some kind of symptom or condition tracking resource, current offerings are relatively basic and don't fully leverage technology for trending, aggregating or sharing symptoms and progress. Online RA patients are more likely to use a computer than pen and paper to track their health and wellness, and condition tracking and management tools are one of the top resources that this patient segment wants from pharma websites.
- RA Healthcare Professional (HCP) product websites are underperforming in mobile: Seventy-six percent of rheumatologists with smartphones use them to access professional websites, yet only half of HCP RA product websites are mobile optimized. Moreover, most mobile optimized RA HCP websites score poorly for mobile speed performance on Google's PageSpeed Insights tool – giving further indication that the category overall is underserving HCPs on mobile devices.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Vice President of Research Monique Levy:
- "Pharma brands are becoming much more aggressive in terms of finding and executing on competitive digital marketing opportunities and having a more disciplined multichannel strategic approach. The good news is that there are plenty of easy wins there for the taking this year and this deep patient journey and digital engagement analysis powerfully illuminates the way forward."
- Request a recording of Manhattan Research's Digital Brand Planning Webinar, focusing on how pharma clients can shape and refine their digital brand strategy with data, analysis and insights. Learn more.
Sources: Digital Competitive Landscape: Rheumatoid Arthritis; ePharma Consumer® 2013: Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients; Taking the Pulse® U.S. 2014: Rheumatologists, Google PageSpeed Insights tool (accessed May 24, 2014)
Digital Competitive Landscape: Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 25 websites analyzed, as well as other brand digital assets
- Digital initiatives from:
- Brands: Enbrel, Orencia, Rituxan, Humira, Actemra, Remicade, Simponi, Cimzia, Kineret, Xeljanz
- Companies: Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, AbbVie, UCB, Genentech, Biogen, Sobi, Pfizer, Janssen
- Digital properties, tactics and channels such as website features and content, service portals. mobile, video, support programs, communication with reps, and much more
About Digital Competitive Landscape Series
Manhattan Research analysts track, categorize and analyze pharma website features, apps, social media, and other digital investments for competitive insights across 30+ brand categories, including RA, psoriasis, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, and many more. Paired with extensive research on consumer and HCP digital behavior and interest in pharma resources, expert analysts give you actionable answers to your strategic marketing questions. Learn more.
About Decision Resources GroupDecision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Decision Resources Group's Manhattan Research product line offers insights and analysis on digital health trends among healthcare professionals and consumers in the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific. Find out more at www.manhattanresearch.com and www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group