BURLINGTON, Mass., Aug. 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that two-thirds of surveyed pulmonologists indicate that Boehringer Ingelheim's Spiriva is the agent most likely to be replaced by GlaxoSmithKline/Theravance's first-in-class LABA/LAMA combination Anoro Ellipta. To date, surveyed physicians reported that, of the Anoro Ellipta patients who were switched from another COPD agent, two-thirds were switched from Spiriva.
Other key findings from the report entitled LaunchTrends Anoro Ellipta (Wave 1) 2014:
- Use of LABA/LAMAs to triple: Pulmonologists expect their use of the LABA/LAMA drug class to nearly triple in the next six months.
- Replacing Spiriva with Anoro Ellipta: The fact that a majority of physicians plan to use this drug class as a second-line agent explains why many pulmonologists anticipate replacing Spiriva with Anoro Ellipta. Spiriva is a LAMA which constitutes only one portion of Anoro Ellipta's LABA/LAMA combination.
- Anoro Ellipta's main benefit: Almost half of pulmonologists indicated that the main benefit of Anoro Ellipta is that it is the first LABA/LAMA combination drug approved in the United States.
- Anoro Ellipta's greatest disadvantage: Cost is believed to be the single greatest disadvantage of Anoro Ellipta, according to nearly one-quarter of pulmonologists.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Jen Dolga:
- "Although cost is cited as the greatest disadvantage of Anoro Ellipta in Wave 1 of this study, it is possible that when physicians become more familiar with the combination inhaler and take into consideration the fact that patients are only paying one fee for the combination inhaler rather than paying for a LABA and a LAMA separately, we may see a decline in the percentage of pulmonologists who list cost as the ultimate drawback."
- "It will be interesting to see how much patient share is taken over by this new combination inhaler over the next few months. Even more fascinating will be watching how rapidly the COPD market changes as other LABA/LAMA combination drugs in development become approved."
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group