BURLINGTON, Mass., Sept. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group's new Manhattan Research study, Digital MedTech Physician™ 2014, finds that online information and other value-added services are emerging ways for brands to differentiate their offering and support physicians. Physicians who are responsible for medical device purchasing decisions rely on websites, mobile apps and other digital sources for learning about devices—and these physicians are looking to manufacturers to provide advanced digital support. Despite this high demand, digital is underleveraged in the device industry today, representing an opportunity for brands to differentiate themselves in competitive markets.
Key findings from the Digital MedTech Physician™ 2014 study include:
- Device decision makers rely on digital. 67 percent of MedTech physicians are either the final or one of the decision makers when it comes to the medical devices purchased at their hospital or practice. This important segment of decision makers relies on digital content versus print or offline sources 57 percent of the time for medical device information.
- Strong demand shown for manufacturer support online. Physicians making device decisions are looking to device companies to provide deep and comprehensive online content and support, not just the basics. 53 percent of key MedTech decision makers are interested in watching training videos from device company websites, 40 percent would like product or procedural videos, and 30 percent would like to request a rep visit.
- Interest high in device-sponsored online support among physicians in certain specialty groups. For example, 71 percent of all interventional radiologists and 62 percent of all orthopedic surgeons are interested in training videos from device company websites.
- "Medical device companies that are not offering a wide range of services on their websites are missing a key opportunity to engage and influences," said James Avallone, Director of Physician Research at Decision Resources Group. "Device decision makers are savvy digital media users and are looking to manufacturers to provide rich, interactive online resources for procedures and patient support."
A new sample deck, Optimizing MedTech Tablet Rep Engagement, is available for download. Tablets have become a key tool for enhancing medical device details, yet few companies are leveraging this device to its full potential. This sample deck leverages insights from the Manhattan Research Digital MedTech Physician™ 2014 study and advisory service to cover the three key considerations for getting the most out of tablet rep campaigns. Download the sample deck here.
About Digital MedTech Physician™
Digital MedTech Physician™ is a Manhattan Research study and advisory service exploring adoption of digital channels for medical device information, including various types of online promotion programs from device companies. Tablet-assisted in-person sales interactions with physicians—and their impact on device decisions—are also assessed. Digital MedTech Physician™ insights are based on an in-depth, online study fielded in Q2 2014 among 800+ US physicians who perform at least one procedure involving a medical device per month. Every Manhattan Research study is rewritten annually.
Specialist-focused insights are available, including:
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Interventional cardiology
- Interventional radiology
- Neurological surgery
- Obstetrics & gynecology surgery
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Plastic & reconstructive surgery
- Spinal surgery
- Urology surgery
- Vascular surgery
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Manhattan Research, a Decision Resources Group company, is the industry's leading expert in digital marketing and innovation strategy for life sciences companies. Their studies of patients and healthcare professionals span 23 countries and over 70 therapeutic categories. Through their research and strategic advisory services, they help clients stay on top of fast-moving industry trends and develop digital marketing strategy that works. Find out more at www.manhattanresearch.com and www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group