BURLINGTON, Mass., Sept. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that the global market for bone cement and accessories will expand from $630 million in 2013 to over $1 billion by 2022. While the United States will continue to be the largest contributor of global revenues, the most growth will come from the rapidly expanding Brazilian, Indian and Chinese markets, where joint reconstruction volumes are increasing quickly and thus boosting demand for bone cement and accessories.
Other key findings from Decision Resources Group's coverage of the global bone cement and accessories market:
- Impact of cementless implants: Although the bone cement market will be hampered by the use of cementless implants, the once rapid shift to cementless devices has slowed. Recent budget and reimbursement cuts have caused physicians to question whether the benefits of cementless implants justify their higher cost over cemented implants.
- Premium-priced products: Despite pricing pressures, some higher-priced bone cement and accessory products will be increasingly adopted. For example, more expensive antibiotic bone cement is gaining popularity due to its ability to reduce the potential for infection. Higher-priced compatible and enclosed vacuum systems are also being adopted because they minimize the amount of monomer fumes in the operating room and reduce cement porosity.
- Antibiotic bone cement in Japan: In 2014, the first antibiotic bone cement products—from Stryker and Biomet—entered the Japanese market, which will have a favorable impact on revenue growth. However, use of the products will be limited because they are only approved for very specific indications in Japan and there is a lack of awareness of antibiotic bone cement in the country.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Lead Analyst Deanna Edmunds:
- "Stryker continues to lead the global market for bone cement and accessories, and the top players are all larger multinational companies that also sell related products, specifically reconstructive joint implants."
- "The competitive landscape could see some change going forward. Zimmer's pending acquisition of Biomet could boost the combined company's position in the reconstructive implant space, which would have a positive impact on its position in the market for bone cement and accessories."
- Deanna Edmunds has written a Medtech 360 report on this subject entitled Global Markets for Bone Cement and Accessories 2014.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group