What to Expect at the International Pharmaceutical Federation World Congress, Seoul 2017
In the second week of September, I will be attending the 77th International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) World Congress. As a young pharmacist (a pharmacy professional under the age of 35), I have been invited to speak during an insightful session entitled “Young pharmacists: Putting heart and soul into pharmacy” where I will be discussing my vision on practicing pharmaceutical care in the future. Pharmacists have played a unique role in shaping the medical treatment landscape through evaluating formulary coverage and determining drug management. My talk will provide potential expanded roles for pharmacists and a touch on future directions for the field. The presentation also aims to inform attendees about some disruptive technologies that could shape the future of this fast-paced segment of the healthcare industry.
(Monday, September 11, 2017; 14:30-17:30; Session A12, COEX Convention & Exhibition Center: Room 208 A/B)
About FIP 2017 conference
FIP is a 100-year-old global federation of 139 national organizations for pharmacists and pharmaceutical scientists. It runs as a non-governmental organization in the official relation with World Health Organization (WHO). FIP represents over three million pharmacists and pharmaceutical scientists worldwide, who are dedicated to improving the access and value of appropriated medicines and contribute to changes in scientific research, medical practice, and health policies worldwide. The association organizes an annual world conference that brings the experts from various healthcare areas under one roof. This year the conference is being held in Seoul, South Korea, from September 10 through September 14, 2017.
What to watch for at FIP 2017?
- Antimicrobial stewardship: Looking for global solutions. Pharmacists have been advocates for the responsible use of antimicrobials through antimicrobial stewardship programs around the world. As per the WHO’s 2014 report, both developed and developing countries are affected by threat of antimicrobial resistance. The world is on the verge of a post-antibiotic era, where normally treatable infections could become deadly once again if we don’t take urgent and coordinated action. The session speaker from Merck & Co Inc., USA, will present on a pertinent topic, “Policy impact on antimicrobial resistance and the development new antimicrobials”. The session is designed to outline antimicrobial resistance mechanisms and their impact on the patient outcomes. It will also cover ways to encourage the development of new antimicrobials.
- Biosimilars: Research, regulation and responsible use. The session will describe the process for regulatory approval of biosimilars across various geographic regions. In particular, the experience in the EU with biosimilars, including issues with safety and management, such as indication extrapolation, uptake, and pharmacovigilance. The presentation should also cover the key factors and decisions that must be contemplated for formulary inclusion of biosimilars.
What are the other topics to be highlighted?
- Digital pharma
- Gene based therapy and individualized medicine
- Antibody drug conjugates: Future opportunities
- Smart learning: Dynamic integration of technology
- The refugee crisis and the role of pharmacy
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value data, analytics, and insights products and services to the healthcare industry. DRG companies provide the pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device, financial services, and payer industries with the tools, insights and advice they need to compete and thrive in an increasingly complex and value-based marketplace.
Have a question?
Follow me @PrateekJain_DRG;
Contributor: Prateek Jain, Ph.D., Senior Research Associate