November 17, 2010
Stats on the GI/Endoscopy Market
Endoscopy nurses are focused on the clinical side of their professions, rightfully so, but it’s good to stay updated on the business of procedures and the industry at large as well. In that spirit, here are five recent statistics that show trends in the market in 2009, the most recent available. This information is courtesy of Millennium Research Group.
1. In 2009, the U.S. market for GI endoscopic devices was valued at over $1.8 billion. This is an increase of more than 8 percent from 2008.
2. More than 55 million procedures were performed with GI endoscopic devices in 2009. Almost 50 percent of these were colonoscopies.
3. The fastest-growing part of the U.S. GI/endoscopy industry in 2009 was anti-reflux devices, which increased by more than 300 percent from 2008. This growth is expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate of 67 percent through 2016.
4. Virtual colonoscopies increased by 2.9 percent in 2009 from 2008 and are expected to show moderate to strong growth the next five or six years.
5. GI endoscopes were the biggest part of the GI endoscopic device market in 2009. Capsule endoscopy devices are expected to grow to the second-largest market segment by 2016.
Return to In the News